Amazon

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Italian Meatballs in Marinara

 This was TO DIE FOR.  All 4 of us ate until we were so stuffed.  We sat around the table saying how full we were but that we wanted to keep eating!

Got the meatball recipe off of Christna Ferrare's site on OWN.  Marinara I found on AllRecipes.com.


Servings: Makes 10 4 oz. meatballs

INGREDIENTS

Jamie's Famous Meatballs Recipe

  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 8 ounces ground pork  (I used 2 lbs of ground beef)
  • 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I had Italian Seasoned on hand)
  • 1/4 cup and 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan (or Pecorino Romano)
  • 1 large whole egg
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3 cloves chopped fresh garlic
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil , for frying

DIRECTIONS

Using a whisk, mix the milk and the bread crumbs in a deep bowl. Add all the other ingredients. Using your hands (you can use gloves), mix well until the mixture looks even. With a scale, weigh out the mixture into about 4-ounce portions and form them into meatballs.

Place olive oil into a frying pan, and heat until it begins to smoke slightly. Carefully place the meatballs in the pan using tongs. Keep rotating each meatball so they cook evenly until the inside of the meatball reaches 140°. Place the cooked meatball into a marinara sauce of your choice and let simmer for approximately 2 to 4 hours.

Yield: 10 meatballs (4 ounces)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Inactive prep time: 0 minutes
Cook time: 2 to 4 hours  (I only let them simmer about 20 minutes.  We were hungry!)

I happen to have a scale.  This is like the one I have.  If you don't have a scale, big deal, just try to make them all the same size.  4 oz is pretty big meatballs.  They sell fancier scales for 3-5 times the amount of money, but I like the kind that has a plastic bowl on top so that you can throw that in the dishwasher.






I made this just like the instructions (except for omitting the pork & replacing it with the ground beef).



 For the Marinara Sauce

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley  (I didn't have dried parsley so I used a little dried basil)
  • 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese   (I just used the parmesan)
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder  (I had granulated onion, so I used about 2 teaspoons, to taste)
  • I also sauted an onion & added it

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute garlic until aromatic and tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, parsley, Romano cheese, Parmesan cheese, bay leaves and onion powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 40 minutes.  I allowed it to simmer for about 20 minutes until my meatballs were done, then I added the meatballs for the last 20 minutes.


Served it with spaghetti noodles & sauted zucchini.  Which by the way even my kids find amazing. 

 Sliced zucchini, saute in a little olive oil until tender & a little brown.  Sprinkle liberally with garlic salt to taste.  I'll post my favorite garlic salt.  It's a favorite for a reason.  You can find it in any grocery store.  McCormicks California Style (with parsley) Garlic Salt.




1 comment: